Monday, January 22, 2018

Introduction and First Post

My name is Migs and I am currently an LU2 student enrolled under the INTegrated liberal ARts and MEDicine (INTARMED) program of the UP College of Medicine in UP Manila.

One of the subjects I am taking this semester, Psych 10, requires me to document my experiences and adventures throughout the sem. Seeing this as an opportunity, I've decided to go ahead and start my own blog which I intend to maintain until I graduate from Medicine.

The idea of starting a blog to document my experiences as a student in the INTARMED Program has always been playing on my mind. As I was transitioning from high school to college, many past INTARMED students have maintained and kept blogs which were able to inspire me and guide me until eventually I was accepted into INTARMED as well. This blog is my way of "giving back" to these bloggers and also my way of being able to usher in the new generation of imed students to the college. 

Future posts will describe my journey to becoming an INTARMED student, but for the time being, my posts will be limited to my daily exploits, which my professor requires me to blog about every single day for the rest of the sem. Today marks day one.

Today I met my prof in Biology 30 for the first time. Her name is Ma'am Co. This particular prof is a really notorious one among INTARMED students. She is known for causing students to be delayed in entering medicine proper (LU3) and also known to be extremely difficult. I had previously thought that she was a prof who would be mean and condescending--but I now realize that that is not the case. Now that I've had the privilege of meeting her for the first time, I can confidently say that this prof's notoriety is due to her really high standards and tremendous faith in her students. What makes this prof difficult is not her quirks (Believe me, I had one prof before for History who really pissed me off because of his "quirks" but this prof is different). What makes this prof difficult is that she actually dares to ask for more. She is not content with her students just getting by and not really learning anything worthwhile. She knows that her subject matter (Embryology and Genetics) would constitute a large portion of our future studies in medicine, and she has taken it upon herself to ensure that when we leave her class, we will be prepared for whatever challenges may await us. Other profs might just be content with getting through the course curriculum prescribed by their respective departments, but this prof is an exception. She is willing to go above and beyond the syllabus, and she is willing to be with us every step of the way, as long as we cooperate, of course. "You will get the grade that you deserve," she says. She is asking for a lot-- she expects us to study lessons in advance (and take quizzes with some questions based on future lessons), and be able to transcend simple identification of structures. She wants us to understand, not memorize, the concepts. She wants us to read between the lines of our embryology textbooks. She is asking for soooo much, but for an INTARMED student about to enter medicine next year, it's about time that I level up. I have never felt more motivated in my life. I am so ready to face her challenge head-on. I know that the road will be tough, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end. It's time to burn the midnight oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment